Ed Begley, Jr. and Sophie Uliano To Make Special Appearances
WEST CHESTER, Pa. (April 16, 2009) – On April 22, QVC will commemorate the 39th anniversary of Earth Day with a special 24-hour celebration of programming, featuring innovative products to help its customers save energy and money – and even the planet. QVC will also welcome actor and environmentalist Ed Begley, Jr. and “Gorgeously Green” author Sophie Uliano to share tips on how to live more green.
“We realize everyone has different shades of green, which is why we’re happy to welcome Ed Begley, Jr. and Sophie Uliano to QVC to show us how we can make a meaningful difference, one step at a time,” said QVC’s President of U.S. Commerce Claire Watts. “We will also offer some unique solutions that will help encourage sustainable living.”
Ed Begley, Jr., star of the award-winning hit series “Living with Ed” and author of “Living Like Ed: A Guide to the Eco-responsible Life,” is scheduled to make his QVC debut at 7 PM (ET) and 10 PM (ET), to demonstrate and share ways to reduce impact on the planet. He will also offer shoppers the opportunity to order the Bayes Waterless Car Wash (QVC Item #V28583) and the Oxygenics TriSpa Multi-Spray Chrome Showerhead (QVC Item #V28740 and #V28741).
Additionally, Sophie Uliano, author of “Gorgeously Green” (QVC Item #F190838), will return to QVC with her book “The Gorgeously Green Diet, How to Live Lean and Green” (QVC Item #F06948). She is also scheduled to make several appearances on QVC throughout the day (12 AM, 7 AM, 9 AM, 3 PM and 10 PM – all eastern time) to share tips with viewers on how to live a more Earth-responsible life, including:
- Whittle Away Waste: Reduce waste by composting fruit and vegetable scraps. Keep a compost crock, such as Sophie’s One-Gallon Ceramic Kitchen Compost Crock (QVC Item #K23823), on the kitchen counter so scraps can be added while cooking. Then simply transfer the contents to an outdoor compost bin when full.
- Produce in a Pinch: Baby salad leaves and herbs are easy to grow and taste so much better when they haven’t traveled thousands of miles to reach the salad bowl – all one needs is a small planter, some potting soil and seeds. Toss up the perfect salad with the Preserve Set of Three Recycled Mixing Bowls (QVC Item #K24086).
- B.Y.O.Bags: Whenever possible, avoid using disposable plastic bags. For shopping trips, consider tagging along Sophie’s ChicoBag Set of Three “Gorgeously Green” Bags and One Vita Bag (QVC Item #V28688).
- Reuse and Repeat: Pack a lunch each day to avoid unnecessary packaging and expense. All that is required is a one-time investment in an insulated lunchbox, reusable containers, real flatware, a cloth napkin and a water bottle. For larger gatherings, consider storing meals in Chantal’s Natural Glaze Make & Take Casserole Dish (QVC Item #K23834). Perfect for brownies, soups and sides, the sealed silicone lid keeps food from spilling and ensures that food stays fresh.
- A Bright Idea: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, if every American home replaced just one light bulb with an Energy Star-qualified bulb, there would be enough energy saved to light more than three million homes for a year. Consider switching to a DuraBright EcoSave SuperBulb (QVC Item #V28462).
In addition to the special guest appearances, QVC will feature a lineup of programming, devoted to helping the QVC customer live greener. These include items from brands such as The Good Home Co., Tarte, Ojon and 100% Pure.
Earth Day products will be available through QVC at 800.345.1515800.345.1515 or QVC.com, while supplies last.