What Makes An Eco Friendly Cleaning Agent
In the case of cleaning agents, the difference between eco-responsible cleaning agents and the average household detergent is as clear as crystal.
The contrast between commercial cleaning agents and their eco-responsible counterparts can be felt on three levels –
- Commercial cleaning agents tend to chemically abrade the surfaces they clean, damaging them at microscopic levels each time you use them. This also means that the items or surfaces being cleaned have to be replaced sooner – a process that is most apparent in case of fabrics. On the other hand, eco-responsible cleaning agents contain ingredients that restore the fabrics’ natural texture, preserving them for longer and helping them retain their natural color and brilliance.
- The commercial cleaners contain acids, which corrode not only the surfaces being cleaned – floors, utensils or clothes – but also the hands of people using them. A lot of people reportblisters, rashes or peeling skin after using these harsh, chemical-laden cleaning agents. Pets or children who accidentally ingest these substances may also be severely poisoned. Eco-responsible cleaning agents use natural ingredients, which are milder on both the surfaces to be cleaned and on the cleaners’ skin.
- The residue left from commercial cleaners lingers in water-bodies and the soil for very long periods of time, slowly but surely increasing toxicity in the environment. Eco-responsible cleaning agents are non-toxic as well as biodegradable, so that they no one either during use or after. Also, products are preserved for longer time periods, so the frequency of manufacture – with its consequent energy use and pollution – goes down.
Companies that manufacture these products also do so with an eye on the environment, and try to keep the manufacturing process as clean as possible.
Eco-responsible manufacturing processes usually involve:
- Minimal processing, or using ingredients as close to their natural state as possible
- Using renewable – plant or vegetative – materials, instead of fossil fuel reserves
- Minimal energy consumption, and use of renewable energy rather than thermal power
- Proper treatment of waste material before letting it enter the outside environment
- Reusable, recyclable or recycled packaging, as opposed to unnecessary disposable packaging
As a result of all these measures, the production of eco-responsible cleaning agents uses much less water and energy than the production of a conventional cleaning agent. Coming with the harmless and efficient end product, this is an added bonus that may not be felt by the consumer but is extremely helpful for the environment.
The motto of eco-friendliness is to use less, and to leave the environment as untouched as possible. By doing this, the balance of nature can be preserved for ever longer, and perhaps a sustainable model of development and living can be reached in the near future.